Re: [suse-security] SUSE 9.0 Pro Production Quality?

I've been doing the minimal install option and then only adding what I need after that point. No GUI or extra stuff. The minimal install I believe is just over 250 megs if I am mistaken. Does that sounds like a good approach? BTW, thanks for clearing that up. I thought thats what it was, but not being a linux verbage guru I was till a bit unclear. :)

Eric

David Fetter wrote:

That depends on your needs when it comes to production quality.  The
main reason why the SuSE Enterprise or even Redhat Enterprise is
considered to be "true production quality" is because, they have fewer
upgrades to the installed OS.  Instead they back port security patches
and only the very critical performance patches.  SuSE Personal and
Professional version will actually upgrade the software to newer
versions.  The difference here is that when you back port patches,
functionality doesn't change therefore it is much less likely for
something to break.  However, you can still have a production quality
installation of SuSE Pro simply by installing it and setting it up that
way.  Like minimal OS instllation to minimize the number of patches that
are needed, etc.  Running SuSE 9.x Pro can be perfectly fine in
production environments.  It's all up to how you administrate it.