RE: [suse-security] SUSE 9.0 Pro Production Quality?

Eric Kahklen wrote on Thu Sep 09 2004 - 16:53:23 CEST:
:
> I had a discussion with my local LUG
> and a member had some interesting threads to share.
> Basically it showed that SUSE 9.0 is not really a production level version. > For production level use,
> it is recommended to go with the Enterprise version of SUSE.

---<text snipped>----

Hi Eric,

You didn't say wheteher you were going to use SUSE 9.0 for
a Production server or as Work stations, and whether you have
Microsoft boxes on your local net and further
how, if at all, you were going to connect to the net.
The answers to those questions all affect "our" answer.

You did mention "apt-get".

There is an "apt-get" feature for SuSE
I don't use it, but others do:
(you can google for it, but be sure to read the "cautions")

I use "fou4s" to get my security patches from SuSE (rather than YOU).
I run fou4s  in the "interactive mode, so my last step is:

    fou4s -i --inversecolor --interactive

see:  http://fou4s.gaugusch.at/

I run the stock SuSE kernel and download that separetly
much like Sandu Mihai suggested on  9/8/2004
http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-security/2004-Sep/0050.html

That's why I run fou4s in the interactive mode,
if I see a kernel update I skip it and handle it separetly.

On some rpms I won't use the "patch rpm" but
prefer the "complete" rpm which I get from my local mirror, or:
http://www.suse.co.uk/uk/private/download/updates/90_i386.html

I have run SuSE 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 and 9.0 as a "workstation,
and found it to be "rock solid".  I use both KDE and Mozilla,
and only problems I run into is when I try leading edge stuff.

Givn that, and that this is a security list,
if you (or your System Admin) doesn't have extensive UNIX or Linux
experience I would strongly suggest that you pay someone who does
to help set up your separate firewall box.

I believe that would be money well spent whether you used
SuSE, Redhat, or Debian on your firewall box.

Hope this helps,
Gar

--

    Mark Twain:  "Sorry I wrote such a long email;
     I didn't have time to write a short one."

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.