Re: [suse-security] SUSE 9.0 Pro Production Quality?

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:52:43 +0200
Philippe Vogel <filiaap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Yep.. that's why I use SuSe Linux Professional in production
> > environment since version 7.0. Sometimes I find a release less
> > suitable for production purposes (for example this was the case with
> > 7.3 and 9.0.. I did not try the 9.1 yet).
>
> Depending on the hardware. I always use Intel-CPU & Chipsets for
> Servers (I got 2x Dual P3 500 as webserver). 7.3 was a nice release
> and even 9.0, but I did install minimal system plus my desired
> packages. I installed several webservers with 9.0 and had no problem
> (except the quality of SuSE-updates). I didn't test 9.1 as well,
> because of the 2.6.x kernel, which is only at it's beginning and got
> some problems with raid-drivers.

Emmm I had serious problems with samba of the 7.3 release (yep we got
Win32 environment, no comment) and I decided not to migrate from the
former release.
When 8.0 came out I did the migration.
I was always curious about non-Intel HW, I have DEC Alpha servers and
workstation, Sun SparcStation workstation and now that RS/6000 server. I
tried SuSE 7.1 AXP, 7.3 PPC, 7.3 Sparc.
Alack, most of these HW platforms are dying as CISC begins to win the
battle against RISC.
Sorry to be off topic.

Regards,