Re: [suse-security] SUSE 9.0 Pro Production Quality?

Vakvarju wrote:
On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:53:23 -0700
Eric Kahklen <eric@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I had a discussion with my local LUG and a member had some interesting

threads to share. Basically it showed that SUSE 9.0 is not really a production level version. For production level use, it is recommended

to go with the Enterprise version of SUSE. Has other people got this impression? My concern is that my company can't afford to purchase
any more software at this time so would I be better off looking at
something like Debian?  I know this is kind of off topic, but
basically I am curious if 9.0 Pro is secure and stable enough for my
organization needs.

Thanks,

Eric

Sometimes I have the impression that the SuSE Professional releases are
beta (and light) versions of the next SLES version.... Maybe I am wrong
but this is a huge IMHO.

My two cents. I've been using SuSE pro 9.0 and 9.1 in production environments. It's nothing major, but fileservers for small businesses. Since setting them up, I've been back only to fix non Linux problems, never a problem with the SuSE box. Then again, file serving is pretty simple. On the other hand, I've use SuSE as my desktop development environment for a couple of years as well. That probably hits it a lot harder than the file serving.

--
Until later, Geoffrey       Registered Linux User #108567
                            AT&T Certified UNIX System Programmer - 1995