Re: [suse-security] Issues with pptpd

Hi!

First idea: Is it an authentication problem? As far as I know, different
versions of MS Windows use different authentication methods by default (PAP,
CHAP, CHAP2 etc.). To figure out the exact source of the problem, you might
try to configure the clients and the server to use only PAP for
authentication and then step by step try the other authentication methods. Of
course, you should finally disable PAP authentication again, as it uses
cleartext passwords and therefore is rather insecure.

CHAP is considered insecure, too, but CHAP2 needs a special kernel patch,
being based on a patented algorithm. That could be another source of your
problems.

Are there any errors reported in /var/log/messages?

Best regards,
Johannes

--
Dipl.-Vw. Johannes Becker
Alfred-Weber-Institut für Wirtschaftswissenschaften

Telefon: +49-(0)6221-54 2931
Telefax: +49-(0)6221-54 3589
e-Mail: Johannes.Becker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
WWW: http://wss.uni-hd.de