Re: [suse-security] Making SuSE 9.1 a router?? HOW??

On Saturday 25 September 2004 12:31 pm, melissad wrote:
> So, how do I:
>     1.  force the eth0 (1.2.168.x.y) to be the external interface with
> its default gateway and SuSE FW to see it as that
>     2.  set eth0 (192.168.x.y) as the default gateway for the internal
> interface (or is this set in ip-tables)?
>     3.  If in ip-tables, what do I set for the default gateway for the
> internal interface?

It helps to think of it as Machines have default gateways, but interfaces
don't.

Machines connected to the internal interface need to point to that IP
(172.16.16.1) as THEIR default gateway.

But the SuSE box itself needs to point to its upstream (internet side)
partner as ITS default gateway.

So if the SuSE boxes eth0 (192.168.x.y) connects to the internet
(presumably via a router) then your SuSE box's Default gateway
is the IP of the router - usually 192.168.x.1.

Boxes only have one default gateway, usually the IP of
the next box upstream.
--
John Andersen