Re: [suse-security] Making SuSE 9.1 a router?? HOW??

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, melissad wrote:

> I have gone from perplexed to baffled to grimly determined.  Having
> sustained a number of intrusions (all uninvited, including kitting of my
> Cisco 3640), I want to build a SuSE router with ip-tables.  Am having
> the devil of a time at it.
>
> YaST will not support two network cards.  Have tried manual
> configuration with << ip >>, which does recognize the cards ("ip link)
> as eth0 and eth1, but does not recognize the devices when I reference
> them from command line as either eth0, eth1, or those names that YaST
> gives them with the MAC address.
>
> Both NICs are internal.  Prefer just to have an eth0 and eth1, and
> someway to force eth0 to load as "external."
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?  a friend says it is easy in Gentoo.

I find the claim that YaST does not support two network cards confusing.
I've configured machines with up to four NICs using YaST and it simply
works.  The problem in SuSE 9.1 is that I haven't found a way to force
a specific card to be a specific interface, but this could be because
I'm not yet familiar enough with the 2.6 kernel.

YaST should autodetect your cards in the first dialogue after you
start 'yast2 network' and should then let you choose "configure" on
them one by one.

Bjørn
--
Bjørn Tore Sund           Phone:  (+47) 555-84894    Stupidity is like a
System administrator      Fax:    (+47) 555-89672    fractal; universal and