Re: [suse-security] re: strange but true

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:45:01 -0800, John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 06:40 pm, Ben wrote:
Hello all
          I have a strange problem, I keep watch on a network belonging
to a non-profit org at which there are one hardware firewall (linksys)
that is a embedded linux (i think). The computers where logged off yet
i saw that three of the computers made a tcp connection to the net.
How is it possible to make this connection if the computers are logged off?
is this a fault with the firewall or is it possible for a logged off
computer
to make an outgoing connection?
Any suggestion's will be greatfully received

Logged off, or Turned off?  Makes a big difference.

Many nics nowdays are always hot, so that you can
use wake-on-lan.  But they should not make an outgoing
connection.

The computers are MS Pro & SuSE9.1