Re: [suse-security] re: strange but true

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:45:01 -0800, John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 06:40 pm, Ben wrote:
Hello all
          I have a strange problem, I keep watch on a network belonging
to a non-profit org at which there are one hardware firewall (linksys)
that is a embedded linux (i think). The computers where logged off yet
i saw that three of the computers made a tcp connection to the net.
How is it possible to make this connection if the computers are logged off?
is this a fault with the firewall or is it possible for a logged off
computer
to make an outgoing connection?
Any suggestion's will be greatfully received

Logged off, or Turned off?  Makes a big difference.

Many nics nowdays are always hot, so that you can
use wake-on-lan.  But they should not make an outgoing
connection.

I have set up another SuSE as a firewall to another node
on the network and they are so impressed i nearly have the go
ahead to convert the lot to SuSE. But to find out why this
logged off problem is happening would help me explain to them
why this has happend. Could it be a fault in the hardware or
something like a false positive/reading???