Re: [suse-security] re: strange but true

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 12:28, you wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:26:40 +0800, Derek Fountain <dflists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 September 2004 11:57, Ben wrote:
> >> it seems to me that linux has as many security probs
> >> as MS does?.
> >>
> >> as i am pretty much a newbie (only got into linux the last 2-3 months)
> >
> > Given the latter statement I'd suggest you hold your judgement on the
> > former!
>
> True!
> do you have a suggestion on a security concious linux Dist?

Um, yes, SUSE! I think they're as security conscious as any other major
distro, and they make patches available promptly (at least for the the latest
version of their product). If you mean "security paranoid" perhaps you should
look at something like Trustix?

While Linux doesn't, IMHO, have anything like the security problems of
Windows, you are wise as a newbie to hit the Linux ground running, so to
speak, with security issues in mind. Occasionally Linux does have a problem
which could be as grave as some of the Windows ones. The recent image based
buffer overflows are a case in point - we only dodged that bullet because of
a limited user base. I have a feeling the JPEG issue on Windows which has
popped up over the last 24 hours will demonstrate what can be done with this
sort of problem.