Re: [suse-security] re: strange but true

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 12:12:11 +0300 (EAT), Noah Sematimba <sematin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well we don't call it "ICS". however try taking a look at
/etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2

it should do all that you want as far as sharing your connection at home
is concerned.

As for the original question:

You need to look at the traffic that is being spewed out and see what the
source ip addresses are, destination ip addresses, destination ports, etc
and then you will be able to tell what kind of traffic this is.

Noah.
WAHOOOOO, That worked, I have a SuSE firewall/router (ICS)
Thankyou, very very much
all Questions answered
Excellent
Thanks
Bye

Yours...Ben

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Ben wrote:

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 00:33:12 -0800, John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 September 2004 06:57 pm, Ben wrote:
> > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 23:45:01 -0800, John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> > I have set up another SuSE as a firewall to another node
> > on the network and they are so impressed i nearly have the go
> > ahead to convert the lot to SuSE. But to find out why this
> > logged off problem is happening would help me explain to them
> > why this has happend. Could it be a fault in the hardware or
> > something like a false positive/reading???
>
> Just because the user is logged off does not mean the computer
> is doing nothing.  Both Windows and Linux have dozens of programs
> running even when all users are logged off.
>
> If you want them off POWER THEM DOWN.
>
> Any number of things can be going on...
> Checking for updates
> Renewing their dynamic IPs
> Synchronizing clocks
> Electing Browse masters
> Answering ARP requests..
> Spewing Spam from a spam bot...
> --- The list goes on and on...
>
> If the machine is on, its doing something, if you don't like that
> you have to turn it off.  Power down. Pull the plug.
>
> Ben, I'm a little worried about you.  You talk like you are setting
> up your own IT department but then you come with a question
> like this...  Scares me!

I think my question has been answered well, Thankyou
But i still caint get an answer on how to get ICS working on SUSE?
is there ICS on suse? There must be, i just caint find where or how
to activate it?
anyone know?