Re: [suse-security] Fou4s 0.12.0 released!

* Markus Gaugusch wrote on Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 00:32 +0200:
> Many months have passed since the last version came out, mostly because
> I'm going to school again, in addition to my daily job.

... and because fou4s was and is working that well that an update
was not urgent.

> Now the good news:
> * Fou4s will do a fully automatic backup of your old kernel. It will be
>    named /boot/vmlinuz.fou4s.

This feature (and the initrd backup) saved me a lot of work after
I did a mistake. Thank you :)

>    but fou4s will remind you to do so.

( mk_initrd also reminded me to run lilo but the server was down
  too quickly to issue a shutdown -c :-))

> * Remind to reboot after doing a kernel update (works even if you updated
>    your kernel with YOU :)

Today we had trouble again with YOU (yast was not starting
anymore because of a lib dep problem after a partly update or
whatever) - but a simple "fou4s -dev && fou4s -i" fixed it :-)

> * Remote host functionality improved (export scripts and kernels)
> * A Nagios check script (by William Jacqmein)

Nice idea! We'll check that out.

(just to share some expiriences about fou4s in general).

Thank you.

oki,

Steffen