Re: [suse-security] Automated kernel updates

Markus Gaugusch wrote:
> On Sep 30, Andreas Haupt <andreas.haupt@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I plan to recheck SuSE's security updates before installing them on
> > the machines. "Normal" packages are easy. I just imitate an update
> > mirror with just links in it. If a link exists the corresponding
> > patch will be installed. This way I can use SuSE's online_update.
> >
> > Kernel updates on the other hand should just be installed when the
> > system is going down. Furthermore I want the last working kernel not
> > to be deinstalled when the new kernel is being installed. "rpm -i"
> > would do this for me so I have vmlinuz (new kernel) and
> > vmlinuz.previous (last working kernel) later on.
>
> I think you want to look at my project: Fast OnlineUpdate for SuSE
> (fou4s) http://fou4s.gaugusch.at/
>
> It sends you email notification for all updates, downloads them
> automatically and installation is just at your fingertips.
> Kernels are automatically backup'ed (vmlinuz.fou4s).

Looks nice! But I have a little problem: It seems that you can only use
ftp/http/rsync server to load the patches from. A (nfs) directory like
in /etc/suseservers (dir://<directory>) doesn't seem to work.

Do I have to setup an internal web server that exports this directory via
http?

Greetings
Andreas