UNIRAS Brief - 566/05 - phpBB - phpBB 2.0.17 released

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   UNIRAS (UK Govt CERT) Briefing Notice - 566/05 dated 21.07.05  Time: 11:22
  UNIRAS is part of NISCC (National Infrastructure Security Co-ordination Centre)
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  UNIRAS material is also available from its website at www.uniras.gov.uk and
         Information about NISCC is available from www.niscc.gov.uk
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title
=====
phpBB - phpBB 2.0.17 released

Detail
======

phpBB Group announces the release of phpBB 2.0.17, the "no, we did not
forget naming it last time" release. This release addresses several
bugfixes and some low security issues as well as the recently seemingly
wide-spread XSS issue (only affecting Internet Explorer).

Please have a look down this announcement for the code changes necessary
to fix the XSS issue, we are again astounded about the energy people put
into finding the smallest issue in phpBB 2.0.x, those must have a lot of
time available. But on the other hand it is always increasing the products
security since we do not introduce new features into the 2.0.x codebase.

With this announcement I want to give you some more information regarding
phpBB's security. psoTFX (Paul S. Owen, Project Manager) initiated and
brought forward the idea and concept of a complete security audit of the
2.0.x codebase. We introduced some top-notch security people,
phpBB-Modders and very talented people from our teams to participate in
this audit. We intend to implement the changes necessary - and also fixing
the found issues, hopefully giving the now very aged codebase (it is still
on a technical level from three years ago) a lift and bringing it
up-to-date with security mechanisms and techniques which are common
nowadays.

We also intend to open our private bugtracker system to the public for
reporting 2.0.x bugs within the next days.

As with all new releases we urge you to update as soon as possible. You
can of course find this download available on our downloads page at
http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php.
As per usual three packages are available to simplify your update.

The Full Package contains entire phpBB2 source and English language package.
The Changed Files Only contains only those files changed from previous
versions of phpBB. Please note this archive contains changed files for
each previous release.
Patch Files contains patch compatible patches from the previous versions
of phpBB.

As always, our Code Changes Tutorial is available too for those with
heavily modded boards.
It can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=308426

Select whichever package is most suitable for you.

Please ensure you read the INSTALL and README documents in docs/ before
proceeding with installation or updates!.

The changelog (contained within this release) is as follows:

- - Added extra checks to the deletion code in privmsg.php - reported by
party_fan
- - Fixed XSS issue in IE using the url BBCode
- - Fixed admin activation so that you must have administrator rights to
activate accounts in this mode - reported by ieure
- - Fixed get_username returning wrong row for usernames beginning with
numerics - reported by Ptirhiik
- - Pass username through phpbb_clean_username within validate_username
function - AnthraX101
- - Fixed PHP error in message_die function
- - Fixed incorrect generation of {postrow.SEARCH_IMG} tag in viewtopic.php
- - reported by Double_J
- - Also fixed above issue in usercp_viewprofile.php
- - Fixed incorrect setting of user_level on pending members if a group is
granted moderator rights - reported by halochat
- - Fixed ordering of forums on admin_ug_auth.php to be consistant with
other pages
- - Correctly set username on posts when deleting a user from the admin panel

Please read the official announcement for the code changes necessary to
fix the XSS issue:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=308490

the phpBB Group

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For additional information or assistance, please contact the HELP Desk by
telephone or Not Protectively Marked information may be sent via
EMail to: uniras@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Office Hours:
Mon - Fri: 08:30 - 17:00 Hrs
Tel: +44 (0) 870 487 0748 Ext 4511
Fax: +44 (0) 870 487 0749

Outside of Office Hours:
On Call Duty Officer:
Tel: +44 (0) 870 487 0748 and follow the prompts

- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UNIRAS wishes to acknowledge the contributions of phpBB for the information
contained in this Briefing.
- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Briefing contains the information released by the original author. Some
of the information may have changed since it was released. If the vulnerability
affects you, it may be prudent to retrieve the advisory from the canonical site
to ensure that you receive the most current information concerning that problem.

Reference to any specific commercial product, process, or service by trade
name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not constitute or imply
its endorsement, recommendation, or favouring by UNIRAS or NISCC.  The views
and opinions of authors expressed within this notice shall not be used for
advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Neither UNIRAS or NISCC shall also accept responsibility for any errors
or omissions contained within this briefing notice. In particular, they shall
not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever, arising from or in connection
with the usage of information contained within this notice.

UNIRAS is a member of the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST)
and has contacts with other international Incident Response Teams (IRTs) in
order to foster cooperation and coordination in incident prevention, to prompt
rapid reaction to incidents, and to promote information sharing amongst its
members and the community at large.
<End of UNIRAS Briefing>